Accueil Forums Présentation des membres Présentation Edel 4 en Hongrie

• Ce sujet contient 5 réponses, 3 participants et a été mis à jour pour la dernière fois par Peter, le il y a 3 années et 2 mois. Ce sujet a été consulté 875 fois
6 sujets de 1 à 6 (sur un total de 6)
  • Auteur
    Peter
    Participant
    Quartier-Maître

Bonjour Edelistes!

I’m Peter, living in Hungary. I’m back home after 15 years abroad (Vienna, London, Dubai). Last summer I obtained the sailing license (for lakes) and after a long negotiation with the previous owner I bought and Edel 4. It’s on Lake Balaton in Hungary.

It’s a 1971 version with the winches on the top of the deck, not in the cockpit. Is it harder to sail it alone? The mast seems to be not the original (as I learned from this forum here ;-) ) it’s around 7m, not 8. Not sure how this changes things though.

I attached a few pictures. Let me know what do you think! Some say it was too expensive for 5500eur, some say it was a good deal (two sails, two old outboard motors from the 80s, one electric motor no battery, solar panel, winter canvas, road trailer, life jackets etc). I think it was a decent deal. A lot to repair, but all in all in good condition.

I checked 15 boats at least in this price range. The top of the decks were soft when you were standing on them and the furnishing (wife wanted a kitchen!) was nothing compared to an Edel4. We love this ship, but we don’t know why. And only sailed it once for a trial run. A 50years old boat with a sturdy clean white deck?? It can’t be bad :yes:

So I’ll try to repair the wooden parts and whatever I can, replace ropes, fill in the cracks on the deck, prepare below the water line, maybe sand it back to the fiberglass next year etc… I’ll be here on the forum for sure to ask some questions.

There was some water in the bilge, and the rotten wood worries me.

Maybe from the keel here?

Original winches from 1971??

Sails white and crisp, as far as I can tell.

Work needed on wooden parts of the rudder for sure.

Awesome canvas, the previous previous owner let it made in Germany (based on the sticker). It’s around 10 years old but still in good condition. Matches the boat perfectly with little openings for the rig lines and air to ventilate through. Putting on the winter canvas in snowfall = fun!

Next week removing the winter canvas to lower the mast, putting back the winter canvas, putting back the mast and wrap for travel. In -2 degrees = fun fun fun!

That’s it for now. I’ll keep you updated if you’re interested :bye:

Peter

• Ce sujet a été modifié le il y a 3 années et 3 mois par Peter.
    Webmaster
    Maître des clés
    Capitaine de corvette

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the pictures, lovely boat :)

The rotten wood in the bildge is quite common (in fact, I never saw an Edel 4 without this problem). Not to say it’s not a problem that needs to be tackled but, it’s common. If it’s still hard above, and it doesn’t move, what I would do is to make a small hole in the lowest possible place to let the water flow from the front cabin. This part is structural, so unless you know what you’re doing I wouldn’t replace it as long as it does its job. Or find someone with better advices than mine :)

It’s not a too big problem to have little amount of water in the boat and again it’s quite common.

Most of the time, water come from the top of the boat, it’s annoying but not critical. Unless water comes only when you’re on the water I wouldn’t suspect the keel seal first. But even in this case, when on the water, the boats moves and some water trapped somewhere else can show. This will take time to investigate, but I wouldn’t be too much concerned until large amount of water are in the boat.

To determine that, I would dry all the remaining water when the weather is dry, wait a few days to be sure remaining water don’t continue to spill from somewhere else, then remove the cover for a few days, wait for the rain (or throw a large amount of water on the deck) and see if water is back. If you can, stay in the closed boat and hunt for water drops, it’ll be faster. If so, water comes from the top, again annoying but not critical.

You can also dispose paper towel here and there in the boat and see what’s wet first (or with some flour or colored chalk, which makes it more obvious, but requires more cleaning afterwards).

There are many possible way for water to drip in the boat, but you can consider every hole, every cracks, every screw as a potential culprit :wacko: To fix it, don’t use silicon (a real pain, don’t last long, impossible to remove, will ruin your paint jobs) but products that are more suited for boats (Sika, epoxy…).

A good practice is to clean extensively the boat first : first it’s very rewarding, then you’ll see more clearly what’s wrong.

The mast doesn’t look original but seems great (and I’d rather have a smaller mast than the opposite), as long as you have the sails designed for it, you’ll be alright.

The rudder looks like it has been modified too, not sure why (in calm water it may be more precise, I’d be cautious in more turbulent waters : the added surface may exerce additional force on the joint).

The winches on the deck, especially if it comes whith a second genoa rail… that’s not something I would have done. Maybe it has to do with the shape of your genoa, go sailing and see if you like it…

Congratulation ! Fair winds :)

Peter
    Participant
    Quartier-Maître

Hi, thanks for all the tips for the water hunting :good: Actually you surprised me with the modified rudder. I’ll check online how it should look like exactly.

Best,
    Peter

Alain Diart
    Participant
    Lieutenant de vaisseau

Hi Peter,

this blog post shows quite clearly how the rudder is (don’t give too much credit to the drawing, it don’t seem to be too precise, measures don’t adds up) :

Rénovation du safran

If you want to search the website, the rudder is « safran » in French, related words « barre », « gouvernail »…

Webmaster
    Maître des clés
    Capitaine de corvette

Ah, oh ! I remembered of this blog post that does the list of places where water can seep into the boat :

Infiltrations Edel 4: Les points à contrôler

It’s in french, tell me if google translate is good on it or try to elaborate on someone’s wife…

Peter
    Participant
    Quartier-Maître

Thanks for the tips! I translated Monsieur Edel’s PDF also, loads of good tips.

Well, the location I intended to park the ship for the repair got swamped by the rain. There’s a slight hill before the garden gate and I got stuck with my car last week during a spontaneous test. Two kids, dog, frozen pizza in the back. Uncle’s RAV4 also got stuck almost, we didn’t even try to hoop up my car to it after seeing that.

I had to ask for the help of a friend and 60m! of straps (sangles à cliquet?) to get me out of there. So now I need to re-evaluate the idea of towing the boat down there…

Best,
    Peter

6 sujets de 1 à 6 (sur un total de 6)
  • Vous devez être connecté pour répondre à ce sujet.